Carl Froch is not worried about failing to live up to expectations in Nottingham tonight, believing he has it in his armoury to produce another memorable occasion.
Froch enjoyed arguably the defining night of his career at the Capital FM Arena on May 27, destroying the previously unbeaten Lucian Bute inside five rounds to become the super-middleweight world champion for a third time.
The 35-year-old has gradually become a crowd favourite over the course of his career, and in stopping Bute to claim the IBF title he will tonight defend against Yusaf Mack, he stood firmly in the spotlight.
Mack is not as feared an opponent as Bute was, though, and Froch enters this bout as the overwhelming favourite, with Mack carrying a record of 31-4-2, meaning that another explosive event may not be guaranteed.
“I’ll just do what I do,” said Froch.“The crowd are already turning up, we’ve got a packed arena and obviously, Lucian Bute is a different opponent. He was an unbeaten fighter and I was the underdog and I shocked the world that night.
“People know what to expect and I’m expecting a fantastic night.”
Froch takes great pride from having won a world title on three different occasions and has a resume that would be the envy of many a champion.
Over the last four years he has taken on a stellar cast of punchers, starting with Jean Pascal, going on to Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell, Mikkel Kessler, Arthur Abraham, Glen Johnson, Andre Ward and ending with Bute.
Kessler and Ward were the only ones to better him – the two losses of his 31-fight career – and rematches with the pair, as well as a second shot at Bute, are being eyed up for 2013.
Froch, though, knows none of that can be possible without beating Mack.
“I went through one of the biggest tournaments in the world, the Super Six, where I knew who I was fighting for the next five fights, so you`ve always got your eye on your next opponent,” he said.