THE cancellation of the Great Yorkshire Show last week after one day, because of relentless rain, was a major disappointment to many competitors who travel from all over the country for this event.
The show hosts a large number of Horse of the Year Show qualifiers and organisers have decided to re-stage the ridden classes that are qualifiers, which should have run on the Wednesday and Thursday, at a one-day show to be held on August 14.
The show’s director, Bill Cowling, said: “It was devastating to have to cancel but it is important that these classes, which are part of the qualifying calendar, are held.”
The deadline for new entries is August 3, otherwise all original entries will stand.
All horse boxes and wagons will be parked on hard standing and classes will take place in the main ring, the White Rose ring and the all-weather arena. Entry will be free to the public.
Among those hoping to return to the showground in August is Sally Iggulden whose horse, Oathill Take the Biscuit, should have been competing in the ladies side-saddle class last Wednesday.
“We got our class done on the Tuesday – he came second in the middleweight hunter class – and we hope to go across in August,” said Sally. “It’s always good when shows make an effort to re-schedule.”
Sally achieved the ambition of a lifetime when Oathill Take the Biscuit was Supreme Hunter Champion at the Horse of the Year Show last year, ridden by Danielle Heath.
Hovis, as he is known at home, also began competing in side-saddle classes and won the championship at the National Hunter Show.
This week, he was competing at the Royal International Horse Show at Hickstead in the middleweight hunter class and the Ladies side saddle.
As the manager of Beverley racecourse and clerk of the course, Sally has had to take similar decisions to the Yorkshire Show organisers because of bad weather.
“We lost our Friday night race meeting earlier this month, it’s one of our biggest and it was a washout,” said Sally.
“We are used to disappointments this summer with the weather.”
Further details about the classes to be held on August 14 will be announced shortly.
In the meantime check the website, www.greatyorkshireshow.co.uk.
The Festival of British Eventing at Gatcombe was another casualty of the weather and the organisers and British Eventing announced this week that the novice, intermediate and open championships will not be held this year.
But all the riders who qualified will be eligible to take part in next year’s event at Gatcombe.
The chief executive of British Eventing, Mike Etherington-Smith, commented: “We are delighted that all those entered in the 2012 Championships, who, like us, have been hugely disappointed by the unavoidable cancellation, will now have the opportunity to roll over their qualification until 2013.”