BRADFORD CITY have firmly rejected a bid from Peterborough United for top scorer Nahki Wells.
The Bermuda international is regarded as one of the hottest properties in the lower divisions after netting 26 goals last season.
Huddersfield Town, Leeds United and Burnley have all watched Wells but Posh are believed to be the first to make a bid.
The Yorkshire Post understands the offer, which was made to joint chairman Mark Lawn by Peterborugh director of football Barry Fry, was made two weeks ago and did not run to seven figures.
City are unhappy that the bid was made public yesterday by Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony during a Q&A session with supporters on Twitter.
Lawn said last night: “I am disappointed that this has been made public by Peterborough. As a club, we don’t want to do our transfer business in public and we are disappointed that another club has chosen to go down this road.
“All I will say is that the offer was rejected out of hand and that the matter ended there.”
Wells has two years remaining on his contract so Bradford’s position is a strong one with club officials having previously made clear that only a “silly” offer would tempt them to do business.
Phil Parkinson continues to scour the market for possible new arrivals with former Sheffield Wednesday midfielder, Jon-Paul McGovern, having recently been handed a trial at Valley Parade.
A goalkeeper also remains a priority following the departure of Matt Duke to Northampton Town last month.
Lawn added: “We are pleased with what we have done so far and there is plenty of optimism.”
Meanwhile, Fry has revealed Huddersfield Town’s interest this summer in signing striker Lee Tomlin.
In denying reports that the Terriers had enquired about transfer-listed defender Gabriel Zakuani, Fry said: “The only player Huddersfield have ever spoken to me about is Lee Tomlin and there’s no way we are letting him go.”