Carlos Tevez yesterday arrived back at Manchester City with the apparent backing of his fellow players.
The Argentinian spent a little more than an hour at City’s Carrington complex and underwent a medical after flying to Manchester Airport, where he was met by a huge gathering of photographers and TV cameramen.
The 28-year-old had decided at the weekend to end his unauthorised absence and return to England to resume his City career.
Tevez flew to Argentina without the club’s permission in November after deciding not to appeal against a club fine relating to his conduct during the infamous Champions League loss at Bayern Munich in September.
He had hoped to secure a move during last month’s transfer window but, despite interest from Inter and AC Milan and Paris Saint-Germain, no move materialised.
He gave an interview in Argentina on Monday in which he said: “The most important thing for me is to return to get fit.”
The City squad appear receptive to his return if the reaction of Joleon Lescott is typical.
He tweeted: “All I can say...is that all the players are excited to have Carlos, Kolo and Yaya (Toure, returned from the African Nations Cup) back to help achieve our goal.”
Although Tevez has indicated a willingness to fight for a place back in the Premier League leaders’ side, it remains to be seen how quickly manager Roberto Mancini reintegrates him into his squad.
Mancini, who initially said Tevez was “finished” at the club after the Munich game, has recently appeared open to the possibility of the player featuring again.
The City boss, however, has long maintained Tevez would need to apologise for that to happen.
City have also not yet responded to Tevez’s claims in his Argentinian TV interview that Mancini treated him “like a dog” in Munich.
Tevez, who was accused of refusing to warm up at the Allianz Arena, said Mancini had been arguing with Edin Dzeko when the controversy erupted.