Chesterfield 2 Doncaster Rovers 2: Dickov’s Rovers denied by late comeback from the Spireites

Paul Dickov
Paul Dickov
Have your say

DONCASTER Rovers chief Paul Dickov bemoaned the fact that his side had been unable to move into the play-off positions at Chesterfield’s expense.

They went 2-0 ahead inside 10 minutes but were unable to add further goals as they dominated and the hosts hit back to claim a point.

James Coppinger, who had to be replaced by Nathan Tyson in the 31st minute after taking a knock, put Doncaster ahead in the third minute. He was in space as he brought down Luke McCullough’s long ball over the top and darted into the area before drilling into the far top corner on the angle.

And after debutant Uche Ikpeazu won a corner after chasing a lost cause, Andy Butler rose at the back post under little pressure to double Rovers’ lead with a header from close range in the ninth minute.

It took a stunning save from Stephen Bywater from substitute Ian Evatt on 41 minutes to keep the Spireites out but there was little he could do about Chesterfield’s goal a minute later.

Sam Morsy clipped the ball into the area, Eoin Doyle chested down and slotted home a low shot.

Curtis Main missed two opportunities either side of the break to restore the two-goal advantage and Ikpeazu also had two chances to mark his debut with a goal, striking a post with one attempt.

Rovers were made to pay when Sam Hird’s long ball into the area was nodded back across goal by Doyle and Jimmy Ryan charged in at the back post to head home the 87th-minute equaliser.

Dickov admitted: “We’re disappointed but you’ve got to give Chesterfield credit for getting back into the game, they’re a very good team.

“We started really well and went 2-0 up but we dropped off in the last 15 minutes after, with no disrespect to Chesterfield, we felt we should have been three or four up after the break.”

Chesterfield No 2 Leam Richardson admitted: “We got caught cold but we knew Doncaster had individual players that can hurt you at any time.

“But I thought the honesty and endeavour the players showed thoroughly deserved to get us a point in the end.”

Chesterfield: Lee, Darikwa, Raglan, Hird, Jones (Harrison 46), Morsy; Ryan, Gardner (Evatt 29), O’Shea (Humphreys 64), Clucas, Doyle. Unused substitutes: Banks, Dieseruvwe, Ariyibi, Wright.

Doncaster Rovers: Bywater, Wabara, Butler, McCullough, Stevens; Coppinger (Bennett 31), Keegan, Wellens, Forrester, Main; Ikpeazu (Furman 73), Bennett (Tyson 65). Unused substitutes: McCombe, Robinson, Marosi, Wakefield.

Referee: D Deadman (Cambridgeshire).

Man of the match: Tommy Lee.