Oldham 0 Doncaster Rovers 1: Rovers sneak through and target big guns

Doncaster Rovers manager Paul Dickov
Doncaster Rovers manager Paul Dickov
Have your say

Doncaster Rovers manager Paul Dickov is targeting one of the Manchester giants after a late own goal helped his side see off one of his former clubs.

Rovers made it into the hat for tonight’s third-round draw courtesy of an own goal by Oldham’s Genseric Kusunga in the 87th minute.

“A club very close to here wouldn’t be too bad,” said Dickov when asked who he would like in the next round. “I’ve been lucky enough as a manager to draw Liverpool twice and everyone wants one of the big clubs.

“But really it doesn’t matter. We’re in the hat, we can enjoy the draw on Monday night and that’s the main thing.

“Our main aim, like a lot of lower league clubs, was to get to the third round and we’re delighted to have done that.”

Rovers’ passage was secured in bizarre circumstances. Enda Stevens whipped in a cross that former Sheffield United and Leeds United goalkeeper Paddy Kenny could only parry into the path of Rovers’ substitute Dean Furman and Oldham’s Kusunga, with the ricochet off the latter evading Kenny’s despairing dive and bouncing into the net.

Curtis Main went close in the first minute of an all-League One fixture that Rovers shaded.

James Coppinger and Richie Wellens also threatened before Jabo Ibehre missed a glorious chance for Oldham. Theo Robinson thought he had won it only to be denied by Kenny, who was denied late on as Rovers, fortuitously, claimed the win.

Oldham: Kenny, Wilson, Kusunga, Elokobi, Mills, Kelly, Winchester (Poleon 69), Philliskirk, Johnson (Morgan-Smith 89), Ibehre, Forte. Unused substitutes: Rachubka, Dieng, Dayton, Mellor, Tidser.

Doncaster: Johnstone, Wabara, McCullough, Butler, Stevens, Coppinger (Furman 67), Keegan, Wellens, Bennett (Forrester 76), Robinson, Main. Unused substitutes: McCombe, Marosi, Wakefield, Fernandez, McKay.

Referee: L Collins (Surrey).

Man of the match: Richie Wellens.