Rovers hoping no bids are made for Sharp

0
Have your say

DONCASTER Rovers manager Dean Saunders says the club have yet to receive any offers for Billy Sharp.

Leicester City and Fulham are the latest clubs to be linked with the Rovers striker – joining a list that already included Wigan Athletic, West Bromwich Albion, Southampton and Stoke City.

Rovers will allow Sharp, who has scored 40 goals in 77 starts, to leave for £3m in the New Year transfer window but the bidding has yet to start.

“We’re still waiting for an offer to come in from someone – and, fingers crossed, none will,” said Saunders, whose side travel to Watford this afternoon.

The Rovers manager has been frustrated by delays at the Football Association over Christmas which he says have hindered his attempts to strengthen his squad.

Neither Damien Plessis, Habib Bamogo, or Mamadou Bagayoko have received international clearance to play today despite joining the club last week.

All three signed short-term deals from Greek clubs and Saunders said: “The transfer window opens on January 1 and there is nobody in at the FA. Everyone’s on Bank Holiday. We have got these players now but they might not be available until two weeks after January starts. We work over Christmas, Easter, and January is a really important time. Maybe they should make (the window) January 5 to February 5 if it gets in the way of holidays?”

Former Liverpool striker El-Hadji Diouf, meanwhile, has yet to sign his proposed new 18-month deal.

“Everything is in place but there is no one at the FA,” said Saunders. “We have agreed everything but his contract is not up until January 20 so there’s no rush.”

Back to the top of the page