Guiseley must replay after letting lead slip

Have your say

Guiseley will have to negotiate a tricky replay at Holker Street if they are to make it through to the second round of the FA Cup for the first time in the club’s history and secure a home tie with Blue Square Bet Premier side Macclesfield Town.

The Lions got off to a blistering start against their Blue Square Bet Premier opposition on Saturday.

Andy Holdsworth saw his shot squirm past Danny Hurst’s goal before Nicky Boshell almost put the home side ahead with a neat lob.

The breakthrough arrived when the superb Kevin Holsgrove battled down the wing to cross to Jack Rea.

His effort was blocked, only for the ball to land at the feet of Wayne Brooksby who put his side 1-0 up.

Around 20 minutes later things got even better for the hosts, with most of the 1,604 packed into Nethermoor delighted to see Danny Boshell stoop and head the ball into the net after Hurst had palmed away a cross.

This seemed to spark Barrow into life and after Louis Almond had his shot saved by Steven Drench, Adam Boyes neatly fired home to make it 2-1 on the stroke of half-time.

Just three minutes into the second half the tie was level.

Mark Bower slipped and misjudged a header, only for it to fall to Garry Hunter who poked the ball underneath Drench to make matters all-square.

Both sides had chances to win the tie in the remainder of the second half, in what was an enthralling FA Cup tie, but a replay on Tuesday, November 13 is needed to decide who progresses.

Guiseley manager Steve Kittrick said: “I think we’ve had enough chances to win the game.

“We could have been three up at half-time and the onus is now on Barrow for the replay.”

Guiseley: Drench, Meynell, Ellis, Bower, Holdsworth, Danny Boshell, Rea, Brooksby (Wilson 62), Holsgrave (Dale 90), Nicky Boshell (James Walshaw 62), Rothery. Unused substitutes: Giles, McWilliams, Clarke, Pearson.

Barrow: Hurst, Flynn, Mike Pearson, Anderson, Hessey, Harvey, Baker, Hunter, Rutherford, Boyes, Almond (Rowe 86). Unused substitutes: Shaun Pearson, Skelton, Jackson, McConville.

Referee: S Stockbridge (Tyne & Wear).