Frustration for Powell mixed with pride in battling Huddersfield team

Huddersfield Town manager Chris Powell. Picture: Bruce Rollinson
Huddersfield Town manager Chris Powell. Picture: Bruce Rollinson
Have your say

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN manager Chris Powell admitted to being frustrated with just a point from his side’s trip to Reading on Tuesday night.

Reading, now without a win in four matches, were slow out of the traps and behind after just 64 seconds.

Left-back Jordan Obita misplaced a pass and allowed Town’s Jamie Paterson to beat home goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi with a cool finish.

But Reading were back on level terms in the 15th minute when Oliver Norwood’s speculative free-kick from wide out on the left flank somehow squirmed past Huddersfield goalkeeper Jed Steer at his near post.

Yet Huddersfield were back in front 11 minutes later. More slack work in the home defence left Nahki Wells free to plunder his fourth goal of the season with a rising shot.

Reading huffed and puffed in response, going closest to another equaliser soon after half-time.

Steer atoned for his earlier error by tipping a fiercely struck Nick Blackman effort on to a post and Orlando Sa blazed over the rebound.

Huddersfield defended grimly for the remainder of the match but their defiance ended in the 84th minute.

Substitute Ola John, who had been on the pitch only 10 minutes, drove home from a tight angle for his first goal for the club.

“I feel a bit frustrated and disappointed that we couldn’t hold out,” Huddersfield manager Chris Powell said.

“But when I wake up tomorrow, I’ll recognise this as a good point away from home against a good side.

“Reading had a lot of possession but, having such a good start and first half, we were pegged back and our defensive qualities came out. It was just a shame we couldn’t hold on.

“Reading forced us back. We had to value the ball when we did get it because we knew it wouldn’t be as plentiful as it was in the first half. But I was pleased with the efforts of the players. To a man, they really dug in.”

Reading manager Steve Clarke admitted that his side had turned in a woeful first half display - their worst of the Championship campaign so far.

But they recovered to salvage a 2-2 draw with Huddersfield at the Madejski Stadium.

“There was quite a lot of strange things in our first half performance,” said Clarke.

“People were making individual errors, a lot of players were not playing to their maximum potential.

“That’s something that we haven’t really had this season. In most games, all the players have played to their maximum. Tonight, for some reason in the first period, we struggled a lot.

“Effort was not the problem. When you play a team that is sitting in and defending, you have to find spaces and ways in which to unlock their defence. We didn’t do that very well.

“That’s the poorest we’ve played in a first half this season. But I take my share of responsibility as well because I put the team on the pitch. Whether it’s a point gained or two points dropped, we’ll find out come May.”