Huddersfield Town board will not be rushed after shock opening-day exit of Robins

Huddersfield manager Mark Robins with his head in his hands. (Picture: Simon Hulme)
Huddersfield manager Mark Robins with his head in his hands. (Picture: Simon Hulme)
Have your say

HUDDERSFIELD Town are expected to adopt a patient approach in the search for a new manager following the shock departure of Mark Robins.

The 44-year-old left his job at the John Smith’s Stadium in the wake of Saturday’s 4-0 Championship hammering at home to Bournemouth – Town’s worst opening-day result in the Football League.

In exiting just a few hours after the campaign had got under way, Robins, appointed in February, 2013, became the earliest managerial casualty in Yorkshire football since Kevin Blackwell was shown the door by Sheffield United eight days and three games into 2010-11.

Town’s third hunt for a new manager in four seasons is already under way and sources have indicated to The Yorkshire Post that the club will not be rushed.

In previous searches, Huddersfield took more than a month to appoint Lee Clark late in 2008 and then three weeks as Robins succeeded Simon Grayson.

No timescale has been put in place this time around, but it is believed chairman Dean Hoyle is determined to take his time in order to bring some stability.

Names already bandied around include those of former Leeds United managers Brian McDermott and Neil Warnock, but it is believed that Town have an open mind as to who should be their next manager.

In the meantime, assistant manager Steve Thompson and first-team coach Steve Eyre have taken charge of team affairs.

Robins left Huddersfield having won just five of his last 22 games at the helm.

That said – and even allowing for the shambolic nature of Town’s performance at home to Bournemouth – the timing of his departure was somewhat strange.

The former Rotherham United and Barnsley manager had spent the past year trying to bring through a passing style at the club.

Immediately after seeing Huddersfield thrashed, Robins insisted the formation was not to blame and vowed to make things right.

Just an hour or so later, however, a parting of the ways had taken place following a meeting between the Town board and their then manager.