Yeovil 1 Huddersfield Town 2: Robins’s thoughts turn to summer with Town now safe

Mark Robins.
Mark Robins.
Have your say

HUDDERSFIELD Town’s last-gasp victory secured their Championship status for another season while all-but confirming the Somerset side’s relegation to League One.

Nahki Wells had put the Terriers ahead before Tom Lawrence grabbed an equaliser, but Adam Clayton lashed in a late winner for the visitors to leave the Glovers six points from safety and rooted to the bottom of the table with two matches remaining.

Town manager Mark Robins said: “That was tough to watch and this Championship can do all sorts to you. We’ve got competent players, but they looked less than competent in the first half and kept giving the ball away.

“The Easter period is always tough with the quick turnaround in games. The same players are used and it becomes a real slog. I’m just grateful we could see it out and Adam’s winner was outstanding.

“There’s a big relief out there because we needed the three points desperately. I’m still disappointed we’re talking like that and this season has to be a lesson.

“It’s not going to the very last game this season so that’s progress, but I’d like a long summer of hard work to try and improve us for next season.

“My thoughts can now turn to the summer because we’ve secured our status. It’s not a case of ‘job done and down tools’, it’s a case of getting some rest because we’ll need it ahead of the two games coming up.”

Huddersfield, who made the 250-mile trip south without a win in their previous 10 league matches, snatched the lead following a swift 69th-minute counter attack.

Adam Hammill darted down the right flank from inside his own half before superbly guiding the ball to the back post for club record signing Wells to bundle home from close range. Three minutes later Yeovil’s survival hopes were resurrected when Tom Lawrence’s fierce free-kick dissected the Huddersfield wall and flew past visiting goalkeeper Alex Smithies.

Gary Johnson’s side pushed for a late winner in eight minutes of added time following Ward’s lengthy treatment, but midfielder Clayton stunned Huish Park by drilling a late decider with seconds remaining.

Yeovil manager Gary Johnson said: “We knew we were in a division that we had to enjoy and we have done that. Hopefully being back in League One we can regroup and challenge to get back.”

Yeovil Town: Stech, Ayling, Webster, Duffy, McAllister, Dawson (Lanzoni 68), Palazuelos (Foley 80), Edwards, Ralls (Grant 68), Lawrence, Hayter. Unused susbtitutes: Hoskins, Davis, Dunn, Nana Ofori-Twumasi.

Huddersfield Town: Smithies, Woods, Gerrard, Wallace, Dixon, Hammill, Clayton, Norwood (Holmes 67), Hogg, Ward (Scannell 50), Wells. Unused substitutes: Clarke, Gobern, Bennett, Smith, Bunn.

Referee: Stuart Attwell (Warwickshire).

Man of the match: Adam Hammill.