Hull’S move for Sheffield United defender Harry Maguire could be back on after a U-turn by the South Yorkshire club.
Having had a final offer rejected last week the Tigers moved on to other targets but on Monday United announced they had “reluctantly accepted the latest bid”.
Hull admit the decision is now with manager Steve Bruce as to whether he wants to return to the deal.
“Sheffield United rejected an offer from the club five days ago for defender Harry Maguire,” said a statement on hullcitytigers.co.uk.
“This was the club’s final offer and we have since entered into discussions with other transfer targets.
“In light of Sheffield United’s statement this morning the board will meet with manager Steve Bruce this afternoon to determine whether we now wish to pursue the transfer after the South Yorkshire club’s apparent U-turn.”
United appear to have conceded defeat in their attempts to hang on to the 21-year-old.
“Sheffield United have reluctantly accepted Hull City’s latest bid for Harry Maguire,” said a statement on sufc.co.uk.
“The Premiership club have finally met United’s valuation for the defender, who has now been granted permission to speak to the East Yorkshire club.”
United’s managing director Mal Brannigan admits they do not want the player to leave.
“We made it clear that we wanted Harry to stay by offering him a new contract at the end of last season, unfortunately he and his representatives chose a different path,” he said.
“However, as he is under contract at Bramall Lane we exercised our right to set our own valuation of him and after numerous bids which did not meet our expectations Hull City increased their offer and we have reluctantly accepted.
“As we have previously stated, Sheffield United are not under pressure to sell our players but on this occasion it was deemed the best for all parties and now we move on with the aim of assisting Nigel Clough to strengthen his squad.”
Maguire has made over 150 appearances since coming through the Blades’ academy in 2011.