Steve Evans insisted he was unaware of any concrete bids for Chris Wood amid suggestions that Wolverhampton Wanderers are monitoring the Leeds United striker.
Wood was the subject of speculation about his future over the weekend after Evans appeared to indicate that Leeds had received a substantial offer for a player who joined them for a £3m last summer.
Speaking to LUTV, United’s official television station, Evans said: “When the transfer window opens and people come in and offer us a lot of money for Chris Wood – a lot more than the president paid for him – it shows you the value others place on him.”
Wood is currently on the sidelines with a hamstring strain and has missed United’s last four games. Evans expects him to return for Saturday’s clash with Bristol City.
Wolves came close to landing the 24-year-old in July but were beaten to the signing by Leeds. The Molineux club, however, recently pulled in around £10m by selling striker Benik Afobe to Bournemouth.
Asked if a firm offer had been made for Wood, Evans said: “I’m not aware of that.”
Wood was close to returning for last weekend’s Yorkshire derby at Sheffield Wednesday but Evans chose not to risk him. Souleymane Doukara started alone up front and Leeds paid for a series of missed chances, falling to a 2-0 defeat.
Evans said: “Chris was extremely close.
“If it had been Tuesday, Wednesday then he would have played.
“The medical team put it at a 90-10 chance and that means there’s a 10 per cent chance that he might damage his hamstring again.
“We’ve missed him for three weeks and we don’t want to be missing him for eight or nine. He’ll be back for Saturday all being well. I’m probably guilty of wanting him back out there more than anyone.”
Leeds have been troubled by injuries either side of Christmas and right-back Gaetano Berardi remains out of action with ankle ligament damage.