Notts C 0 Rotherham 3: Pringle helps ensure Millers ease through

Have your say

Rotherham United delivered an early Christmas present to their followers with a thumping FA Cup triumph against League One promotion contenders Notts County.

Goals from Ben Pringle, Mark Bradley and Daniel Nardiello all but settled the second-round replay before the interval and the stunned hosts had to play an hour with 10 men after Damion Stewart was sent off on the half-hour mark.

Chasing a fourth successive away win, the Millers had the perfect start inside the first 10 minutes when Pringle put them ahead with a dipping shot from 25 yards.

He turned supplier for the next goal, whipping in a corner that ended with Bradley firing into the roof of the net at the far post.

A big task for Notts County became even more difficult when Stewart was shown a straight red card for elbowing Alex Revell in the face.

League Two Rotherham made their one-man advantage tell as Lee Frecklington rounded goalkeeper Liam Mitchell and squared for Nardiello to tuck in a third goal just before the break.

Substitute Joss Labadie flashed an effort narrowly wide as County tried to find a way back into the tie, but the Millers had opportunities to put further gloss on the scoreline.

Frecklington pushed a good chance wide and Pringle, Revell and Michael O’Connell all had the goalkeeper flapping as the clock ticked down.

A good stop from Mitchell prevented Revell adding a fourth, but Rotherham booked a trip to Aldershot Town in the third round on January 5 with plenty to spare.

Notts County: Mitchell, Kelly, Liddle, Stewart, Sheehan, Judge, Bishop, Hughes (Zoko 46), Boucard, Campbell-Ryce, Arquin (Showummi 46). Unused substitutes: Pilkington, Showummi, Zoko, Nahon, Labadie, Bencharef, Regan.

Rotherham United: Warrington, Bradley, Connell, Arnison, Mullins, Pringle, Taylor (Rose 85), Frecklington, O’Connell (Cameron 74), Nardiello (Walker 90), Revell. Unused substitutes: Shearer, Odejayi, Agard, Rose, Denton, Cameron, Walker.

Referee: D Deadman (Northants).

Millwall striker Chris Wood scored twice but Brighton hit back to snatch a late Championship point from the penalty spot with a 2-2 draw.

The hosts were trailing by two goals in the second half, but substitute Kazenga LuaLua halved the deficit and David Lopez equalised.