ROTHERHAM UNITED manager Steve Evans is set for keynote transfer talks with chairman Tony Stewart later today.
After securing the club’s Championship status, Evans’s thoughts have quickly turned to recruitment for 2015-16, with the Millers chief seeking to bring in “six or seven” recruits.
Evans admits that after covering his bases, squad-wise, in much of his transfer business last summer, the focus on recruitment 12 months on will be on bringing in signings to go straight into the first team.
He said: “I think last year we tried to cover for too many ‘what ifs’. This time, we will deal with the ‘what ifs’ if and when they happen.
“We know some players we’d like to bring in. We know their names, their ages, dates of birth, the colour of their eyes, how many games they have played and how well they have played.
“I will start talking to the chairman in terms of specifically who we would like to bring in.”
Evans expects his playing budget to be increased from last season, but also with the club mindful of securing value for money, which has been the watchword under Stewart, in their transfer dealings.
Evans said: “We agreed last year that there would be a spend that was appropriate to our first season in the Championship.
“Do I expect us to spend more in terms of wages this year? Yes, I do.
“My chairman will probably read this and then say on Tuesday ‘you got that wrong, sunshine’. Because, whatever anyone else thinks, at this football club there is one boss.
“We are all very fortunate that we work for the most positive man I have ever known really.
“I don’t know if we will be making seven-figure bids. I think we are going to look first and foremost, like every business should, to what is our best value and whether our best value is to put it into the squad in terms of earning.
“I will know what the scope is when I sit down and talk about individual players. Some would command a fee if we went down that road.
“There are a number who would not command a fee if we went down that road. It’s about taking direction from our chairman.
“Over the last 12 months, we’ve bid over £1 m for a player on four separate occasions, but the whole package has to work here.
“We have a dressing room to protect in terms of earnings etcetera and that is just not going to change.”