NEIL WARNOCK has spoken of his delight at Leeds United agreeing a new three-year contract with Aidy White.
The 20-year-old was expected to leave Elland Road this summer due to his existing deal having run out at the end of last month.
As revealed in Wednesday’s Yorkshire Post, Derby County headed the list of clubs chasing White with sources in the East Midlands suggesting that manager Nigel Clough was willing to make the left-back the highest paid player at Pride Park.
Celtic manager Neil Lennon is also a big admirer of the United Academy product along with Middlesbrough chief Tony Mowbray.
However, after talks resumed over a new deal for White following Leeds’s decision to make an improved offer, he has decided to stay with the West Yorkshire club.
Delighted manager Warnock said: “I am really pleased that Aidy has agreed to sign the contract.
“He can be a big part of what we want to achieve next season and regardless of where he plays, he can do a good job. It is great news for the club.”
White, despite being out of contract, would still have raised a transfer fee had he left Elland Road due to being under the age of 24.
Derby were one of a handful of clubs who offered £500,000 for the left-back in an attempt to avoid having to go to a tribunal.
White made 39 appearances for Leeds last season, the highest number of his career.
Warnock was keen to keep hold of the left-sided player and envisages him having a big part to play next season – regardless of where he plays with new signing Adam Drury expected to be the club’s first choice full-back next season.
The Leeds chief said: “Aidy is a good player and I am expecting good things of him next season. Whether that is at full-back or further forward, what I want to see from him is a more clinical game as he has that potential in him.”
Getting White to commit to a new three-year deal is a big feather in United’s cap as it seemed just a few days ago that he was destined for the exit door.
Supporters will now be hoping that Leeds have just as much success in holding on to captain Robert Snodgrass after Norwich City yesterday submitted an increased bid for the Scot.
The Canaries, who made an unsuccessful attempt to sign the 24-year-old last summer, had a £1.5m offer rejected earlier this week.
The Premier League club have returned with an increased bid, which the Yorkshire Post understands could be as much as double their opening bid.
Snodgrass, who is also wanted by Aston Villa, has less than a year to remain on his existing deal and would therefore able to walk away for a free transfer next summer.
The Scot did not feature in last night’s friendly at Farsley but will be part of the squad that heads to Cornwall tomorrow for a pre-season training camp.
Warnock said: “He’s got quite a tight hamstring and he could have come here but I thought all the hassle of speculation and people talking to him wouldn’t do him any good. I said ‘I don’t mind if you don’t come’. He’ll come with us (tomorrow).
“We’ve not had a bid that’s acceptable yet and Robert knows that. Everyone knows my feelings and nothing’s changed but in football you don’t know what’s around the corner. We just need to keep an open mind.”