Exeter City 0 York City 0: Wilcox fears fatigue in Minstermen after gruelling start

Russell Penn came closest to breaking the deadlock for York City.
Russell Penn came closest to breaking the deadlock for York City.
Have your say

A TIRED goalless draw at Exeter left York City chief Russ Wilcox contemplating changes for tomorrow night’s Capital One Cup tie at Premier League Swansea.

The Minstermen have made the second round for the first time since 1997, but Wilcox is keen to avoid any injuries that might then have an impact on the team’s League Two campaign, which has begun with four points from four games.

Wilcox argued that a punishing schedule that will see York travel to South Wales today having only returned to North Yorkshire late on Saturday night on the back of five games in the season’s first fortnight could begin to take its toll should players pick up injuries due to fatigue.

The visitors were dealt a 15th-minute blow at Exeter when Stephane Zubar was forced out of the game after twisting his knee and the York manager added: “Some of our lads are absolutely wiped out and, when fatigue comes into play, you can pick up injuries so, whilst I want to put out my strongest team and Swansea’s a great arena to play in, the bigger picture is we don’t want to lose players and I would prefer to win against Mansfield.”

A poor contest in Devon saw Ryan Harley go closest for Exeter with a curling free-kick and a 12-yard shot that both missed the target.

York captain Russell Penn, meanwhile, had his team’s best chance but fired a 10-yard shot straight at former Bootham Crescent team-mate Bobby Olejnik after a left-wing cross by David Tutonda.

Exeter City: Olejnik; Davies, Ribeiro (Tillson, 29), Brown, McAllister; Oakley, Oyeleke, Harley; Nicholls (Hoskins, 63), Nichols (Morrison, 74), Holmes. Unused substitutes: Hamon, Woodman, Noble, McCready.

York City: Flinders, Lowe, Winfield, Zubar (Ilesanmi, 15); McCoy, Penn, Summerfield (Nolan, 68), Berrett, Tutonda; Oliver, Hyde (Sinclair, 74). Unused substitutes: Ingham, Godfrey, Rzonca, Carson.

Referee: J Linington (Ise of Wight).

Man of the match: Femi Ilesanmi.