Dewsbury Rams 6 Wigan 58: Wigan’s top-flight class shows as Dewsbury run out of steam

Dewsbury's Karl Pryce brings down Wigan's Tony Clubb.
Dewsbury's Karl Pryce brings down Wigan's Tony Clubb.
Have your say

Teenage winger Joe Burgess marked his Challenge Cup debut with four of Wigan’s 10 tries as the holders made light work of Championship part-timers Dewsbury to book their place in the fifth-round draw.

Burgess, 19, touched down twice in the first nine minutes of the fourth-round tie at the Tetley’s Stadium to give the Warriors a flying start, but they were kept scoreless for the next 39 minutes by their plucky hosts.

However, the Rams faded badly in the final quarter, allowing their visitors to plunder 30 points in the last 17 minutes and run out 58-6 victors.

It looked a routine task for the holders when Burgess touched down twice inside the first nine minutes on his Cup debut.

Matty Smith’s clever kick forced a scrum on the Dewsbury 20-metre line and Burgess took Sean O’Loughlin’s cut-out pass to cross unopposed.

The youngster added his second five minutes later, touching down Blake Green’s sliderule grubber kick, and Smith’s second conversion made it 12-0.

Any thoughts that the Rams were going to be over-run, however, were quickly dispelled as they clawed their way into the contest with a combination of aggressive defence and spirited attack.

Aided by a string of penalties, the Championship side put their visitors under pressure, with former Wigan centre Karl Pryce bundled into touch-in-goal and winger Dale Morton being denied a try for offside.

Wigan full-back Ryan Hampshire, deputising for the rested Matty Bowen, also had a ‘try’ disallowed for obstruction but Dewsbury had the majority of possession up to half-time and stand-off Anthony Thackray went close to scoring after collecting his own chip over the Wigan defence.

The Rams eventually got the score they deserved three minutes into the second half when Morton took Pryce’s pass to cross at the corner and Tom Hemingway, an early replacement for the injured Aaron Brown, landed the touchline conversion to cut Wigan’s lead to just six points.

Starved of possession, the Warriors demonstrated their attacking prowess once they got their hands on the ball and it quickly became a procession.

A storming run from replacement forward Tony Clubb set up the position for Burgess to complete his hat-trick on 48 minutes and, eight minutes later, Hampshire made the running for a try for Dan Sarginson.

Burgess produced a flying finish to register try number four on the hour and prop Scott Taylor powered through a tiring Dewsbury defence to set up Smith and replacement George Williams.

The Rams faded badly and Thornley sliced through for his second try before Green rounded off the scoring spree with his side’s 10th try a minute from the end, with Williams kicking a third conversion after taking over the goal-kicking from a rested Smith.

Dewsbury Rams: Hyde, Morton, Pryce, Grady, Scott, Brown, Thackeray, Hepworth, Godwin, Dowes, Hale, Walshaw, Spicer. Substitutes: Wright, Hemingway, Nash, Haggerty.

Wigan Warriors: Hampshire, Charnley, Sarginson, Thornley, Burgess, Green, Smith, Taylor, McIlorum, Flower, Clubb, Farrell, O’Loughlin. Substitutes: Hughes, Pettybourne, Williams, James.

Referee: J Cobb (Leigh).