Banned Ferres refusing to change his tackling

Brett Ferres.

Brett Ferres.

0
Have your say

ENGLAND international Brett Ferres says he will not change his approach to tackling on his 
return from a five-game ban.

The Huddersfield Giants second-row is back against Bradford Bulls this Sunday after being suspended for a dangerous throw on St Helens’ Jonny Lomax in their Challenge Cup tie last month.

That much-publicised incident sparked real controversy, but Ferres says he will not be thinking about it when he takes to the field at Magic Weekend in Manchester.

“I’ve made thousands and thousands of tackles and got one wrong so I won’t go out there and worry about that,” he told The Yorkshire Post.

“I’ll just play my usual game. It’s a tough sport and if you’re fearful that’s when things do go wrong and you can cause injuries.

“It was unfortunate what happened, but I’m just looking forward to playing again.”

Ferres is relishing the chance to prove his worth once more 
after a frustrating enforced spell on the sidelines. The ex-Bradford star, 28, admits to being in great condition given the extra training he has undergone.

“It’s not like being out when you’re injured,” he said.

“I can still do everything and I have done everything.

“I’ve trained in the morning with the first team and then gone off on my own and got flogged by our conditioner each day too.

“But you try and take the positives out of it. I missed most of pre-season due to the World Cup and then having a bit of ankle surgery done so I probably only had two or three weeks building up to the new campaign.

“Everyone moans about pre-season but it’s there for a reason – to get your body right for round-to-round action. I do feel fit and strong now. It’s been a long five weeks, almost six now, training every day and not getting that reward at the end of it which is the most important thing – actually playing. It’s been nice this week knowing I will now get that.”

Former Castleford Tigers and Hull FC assistant Andy Hay, who has recently been with Salford Red Devils, was last night revealed as the new Featherstone Rovers head coach with the club also announcing a dual-registration deal with Wakefield Trinity.

Meanwhile, Keighley Cougars player-coach Paul March’s appeal against a two-month stadium ban has been dismissed by the RFL.

Back to the top of the page