Hull find their feet after the break to overcome determined rivals Sheffield

Have your say

HULL emerged victorious from a thrilling nine-try 40-31 victory over Sheffield Tigers.

The South Yorkshire side were narrowly ahead at half time at 19-17, but the hosts hit back with a strong second half to take the points.

Winger Jamie Broadley gave Tigers the lead with a try on six minutes which Tom Outram converted, but Hull hit back with stand-off Greg Lound kicking a penalty on 10 minutes and converting a 16th-minute try from centre Motu Tony.

However, Broadley touched down again and full-back Pete Swatkins had a 31st-minute try converted by Outram for a 19-10 lead to Tigers.

Centre Lee Radford crashed over a minute before the break, Lound converting to narrow the gap to two points.

Lound kicked two more penalties on 43 and 48 minutes to take Hull 23-19 ahead, but Swatkins’s second score saw Tigers regain the lead.

Lound’s fourth penalty edged Hull back in front, and they consolidated their lead with full-back James Wigglesworth scoring on the hour mark, Lound adding the extras, and replacement winger Alex Piercy scored their final try on 79 minutes to go 40-24 ahead.

Tigers winger Swatkins completed his hat-trick in injury time and Outram converted, but it was no more than a consolation.

Elsewhere, Hull Ionians’ clash at Darlington Mowden Park was postponed until February 9 because of waterlogging.

Huddersfield recorded their second win in four matches and their first on the road this season with a 21-12 success at Luctonians.

The victory moved Dan Hyde’s men back off the foot of the table, courtesy of a point advantage over Stockport. After an even opening, Huddersfield centre Rob Meakins followed up his own kick to score, Luke Booth converting. However, just before the break a scrum was driven over the line by Luctonians.

When a penalty try was awarded for the home side at the start of the second half it appeared the tables may have turned but Huddersfield had other ideas. They levelled the score at 12-12 after a sustained period of pressure when captain Nick Sharpe barged over.

Winger Booth then landed three consecutive penalties to ensure victory.

A dominant second-half performance saw Otley record an emphatic 51-15 triumph at home to Birmingham & Solihull.

Ben Cooper’s 16th-minute penalty got the ball rolling for Otley, with Stephen Depledge adding a try. But the visitors took the win when Lee Chapman’s 60-metre drop goal followed a converted try by James Oliver.

Centre Jack Mackie regained the lead for Otley with a try converted by Cooper.

After the break, Depledge scurried over for his second try and although Birmingham replied through Ben Spokes, two tries from James Twomey killed the game off.

Replacement hooker Luke Cole went over the line before prop Toby Williams crossed in the final minute.

Back to the top of the page