Nine of Yorkshire's best-kept secrets that you can visit

These historic gems and natural wonders are hidden away in Yorkshire.

Barden Tower

Here are nine beauty spots off the beaten track, just waiting to be explored.

The tower on the Bolton Abbey estate is one of the six original hunting lodges of the Barden forest. In the 15th century, it was rebuilt as a residence for Henry Clifford, but fell into disrepair in the late 18th century.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Gascoigne Almshouses in Aberford, near Leeds, were built by two sisters, Mary Isabella and Elizabeth, in 1844 in memory of their father, Richard Oliver Gascoigne, and two brothers. They are Grade II-listed.
The Hole of Horcum in the North York Moors is a section of the valley of the Levisham Beck. The hollow is 120m deep and approximately 1.2km across. Local legend has it that the amphitheatre was formed when Wade the Giant scooped up a handful of earth to throw at his wife during an argument.
This Grade II-listed drinking fountain was erected on the Bolton Abbey estate in 1886 as a memorial to Lord Frederick Cavendish, who was murdered by Irish nationalists.
A wildflower nature reserve near Pickering that was once part of the Duchy of Lancaster estate.
Marrick Priory near Richmond was a Benedictine nunnery established between 1140-1160. The church was in use until 1948, after which it was used as a farm building. In 1970 it was converted into an outdoor education centre.
The Grade II-listed building was built in 1929 by the city corporation. Originally a civic building, it is now a popular concert venue. Damage caused by a WW2 bomb exploding nearby can still be seen on the pillars.
One of the most beautifully preserved stations on the North York Moors Railway, the station has a Grade II-listed station clerks house and a camping coach.
This ruined castle is located near the abandoned village of Whorlton, between Thirk and Stokesley. It was built in the 12th century as a Norman motte and bailey castle. It fell into ruin in the 14th century. The gatehouse can be seen, and is privately owned.