April 16-22, 2018: York Fashion Week – see http://www.yorkfashionweek.co.uk/ for full programme.
April 16 - Antonia Houston Couture, with Meiji and Knot and Bloom, launches York Fashion Week with her Yorkshire Dandy collection in the Belmont Room at Bettys. Tickets £26.95 from Bettys on 01904 659142.
April 17 - The film Embrace at the Cityscreen Picturehouse
- Fill Your Boots talk: Learn about historic shoes with York Castle Museum’s Helen Thornton. Visit www.yorkcastlemuseum.org.uk
April 19 - She Loves York fashion show at The Principal and Meet the Designer with Hope’s Nanya McIntosh, also at The Principal.
- Naked and You Clothed Me - Ann Bowes reading from the book, and a Q&A session.
Enter her life-wardrobe of seven decades, trimmed with a rich seam of spiritual and Bible-based reflections. Call into Waterstones, York.
April 20 - The Fashion Society of the University of York is presenting an international fashion show at Carluccio’s, St Helen’s Square, as student models and designers collaborate to promote culture and diversity in fashion.
- Unmentionables – A brief history of underwear - With York Castle Museum’s Dr Faye Prior. Visit www.yorkcastlemuseum.org.uk
- Hat Couture - Join Rose and Flo Millinery at Grays Court Hotel, York, in collaboration with Antonia Houston Couture, Saks Hairdressing York and Estee Lauder beauty for a fabulous show of couture hats, fashion, hair and beauty. Call Louise on 07815 796148 or Anita on 07803 174637.
April 21 - Silk Scarf Devore Workshop with Meiji Designs. No experience required. At York Explore. Email [email protected]
April 22 - Explore Fashion Designs - Fast forward to the year 2050 and outfits of the future. Creative event for 5-10 year olds. All materials provided. Call York Explore on 01904 552828.
- Empower your Fashion - at Hotel Indigo York – image consultant Jackie Crawford and hypnotherapist Andrea Morrison boost confidence as you learn how to dress for your colouring, body shape, lifestyle and personality. Jackie Crawford on 07494 644788.
- Create a Lookbook Workshop - For creatives and bloggers, professional designers and illustrators Buttercrumble will guide you through the process to take home your own lookbook.
- The Dressmaking Showcase at Heworth Cricket Club: An event to showcase the work of York Learning’s Dressmaking Department and raising money in memory of two class members who lost their lives to cancer last year. Tutors and York Learning staff will be on hand to answer questions about courses, and homemade cakes, tea, coffee will be available.
April 21-22, 2018: York Festival of Vintage - York Racecourse - Celebrate the Fashion, Music & Style of the 1930s-1960s with entertainment, displays, shows and live music. https://www.festivalofvintage.co.uk/
April 25, 2018: Launch of ‘Celestial’, the new SS/18 womenswear collection from ethical fashion designer Bo Carter, and showcasing collections rising fashion brands Laurelle Woman and Zlata Alekhno. Entrance Free, with fundraising for Candlelighters and FIA NOT. 6pm, Printworks Kitchen & Bar, Printworks Campus, Leeds City College, Leeds LS10 1JY. https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fashion-show-celestial-collection-launch-tickets-43780762439
April 28-May 6, 2018: THE FASHION SPACE AT LEEDS INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL
The Fashion Space catwalks will appear on Briggate from April 28. Programme highlights include free runway shows from High Street retailers on Saturdays, April 28 and May 5, from independents on Sunday, April 29, and from fashion course graduates on Sunday, May 6. go to the festival website, www.leedsinternationalfestival.com
April 30: 5.15-6.30pm, North: Fashioning Identity, with co-curator Adam Murray exploring how the north of England is depicted, constructed and celebrated in photographs, artworks and fashion collections. Tickets: £5
May 1: Christopher Raeburn Off Cut Animal Workshop 11am-4pm. The designer will be bringing his legendary off-cut animal workshop to Leeds where participants will make the city’s mascot, the Owl, with fabric by AW Hainsworth. Tickets: £100. Later, Christopher Raeburn Off Cut T-Shirt Workshop: 5.45-8pm. An opportunity for less experienced sewers to develop creative skills. Tickets: £40.
May 2: 5.45-7pm. Sadie Williams – Bright Young Thing. One of the British Fashion Council’s NewGen’s ones to watch, she will talk about her progression from her Central St Martin’s MA to international success. Tickets: £5
May 3: In Conversation with Claudia Croft, British Vogue, who will discuss her curation of an exhibition from the Marks & Spencer company archives. Tickets: £5
May 4: 4.15-6.30pm. In Conversation with Fashion East at Leeds International Festival Spiegeltent, Millennium Square. Lulu Kennedy with alumni designers Matty Bovan, Per Götesson, Mimi Wade and Art School. Tickets: £10. For further details and tickets for all the Leeds International Festival events, which are on sale now, May 15, 2018: Patterns Reimagined: from Crafts to Fashion by M&S Company Archive.
Explore resist dye techniques across cultures and their evolution in the fashion industry. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/patterns-reimagined-from-crafts-to-fashion-tickets-44187241228?aff=es2
May 17, 2108: Leeds Fashion Ball – Fashion and business networking event featuring Yorkshire business leaders strutting their stuff on the catwalk wearing SS18 collections from High Street and undependent brands. At Leeds Dock, black tie, visit: http://www.fbfashionball.show/