Coronavirus has been 'suppressed' in Scarborough, says Health Secretary Matt Hancock as he praises residents for 'following the rules'

The Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, has congratulated people in Scarborough and Whitby after only one case of coronavirus was reported in the last three weeks.

Speaking in the House of Commons yesterday, he was responding to Scarborough and Whitby’s MP Robert Goodwill who said that there had been just one confirmed case since June 23.

“Will the Secretary of State join me in paying tribute to the people of Scarborough and Whitby not only for so assiduously following the Government guidelines, but for applying liberal quantities of Yorkshire common sense?,” asked Mr Goodwill.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Health Secretary Matt Hancock replied: “Absolutely. They are doing a great job in following the social distancing rules and making sure that they take appropriate precautions, and as a result, the disease has been suppressed in Scarborough.

Matt Hancock has given the borough a thumbs-up.

“I am sure that the people of Scarborough will be able to enjoy summer safely.”

Read More

Read More
21 photos of Scarborough pubs, cafes, barbers and hotels as they open up again a...

Government figures show that there have been 561 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Scarborough so far.

York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust say there have been no more deaths of people with coronavirus, meaning no-one has died with the virus for three weeks now.

Since the pandemic began, 80 people have died at Scarborough Hospital and 134 at York Hospital with coronavirus.

The Trust has so far discharged 549 patients who had tested positive for the virus to continue their recovery at home.

Office for National Statistics figures, released yesterday, show no-one died with coronavirus in hospices, care homes or elsewhere in the week ending July 3.

A message from the editor

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the highest standards in the world. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you

Jean MacQuarrie

Editor-in-Chief