Nostalgia: Lasting appeal of Bridlington in the East Riding

In an age when taking the waters was considered beneficial to health, the East Riding resort of Bridlington, just a mile or two from Flamborough Head, was a veritable Harrogate-by-the-Sea – and as these pictures bear witness, it remained so in the 20th century.

A beach scene at Bridlington, Yorks, in 1913, Bridlington. (Photo by Hulton Archive/Getty Images)
A beach scene at Bridlington, Yorks, in 1913, Bridlington. (Photo by Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

The sea wall and promenade had been created in the 1860s and visitors were drawn by the spectacle of 100 or more fishing boats bobbing in and out of the harbour. There had originally been two settlements – the old town of Bollington and the quay area that contains the modern harbour. But Brid grew with the times, and it remains to this day a major holiday destination.

The turn-of-the-century Spa – a late development compared to some resorts – was a particular draw, as was the Floral Hall. Both were in flames in the decades that followed but the Spa was quickly restored and has been refurbished once more in recent times.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Support The Yorkshire Post and become a subscriber today. Your subscription will help us to continue to bring quality news to the people of Yorkshire. In return, you’ll see fewer ads on site, get free access to our app and receive exclusive members-only offers. Click here to subscribe.

circa 1910: The Floral Hall on the parade at Bridlington. (Photo by Hulton Archive/Getty Images)
circa 1936: The seaside town of Bridlington in the rain. (Photo by Fox Photos/Getty Images)
16th August 1927: Holidaymakers on the beach at Bridlington, Humberside. (Photo by Alfred Hind Robinson/A H Robinson/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)
Holidaymakers relaxing on the promenade at Bridlington in the East Riding of Yorkshire, 30th August 1926. (Photo by Alfred Hind Robinson/A. H. Robinson/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)
Prince's Parade, Bridlington, Yorkshire, circa 1913. (Photo by Hulton Archive/Getty Images)