Another milestone for marathon runner, 25, who suffered devastating brain injury

A MAN will mark three years to the day he was rushed to hospital after suffering brain damage in an unprovoked assault to run a marathon from Hull Royal Infirmary.

Paul Spence will mark three years to the day he was rushed to hospital after suffering a brain injury by running a marathon from the doors of Hull Royal Infirmary.

Paul Spence will be joined on the last 10kms as he arrives in Bilton, near Hull, on Sunday, by 70 friends and family as he marks the latest milestone in his recovery.

The 25-year-old, who is raising funds for specialist neurosurgical equipment, said: “I was blue-lighted in that day in 2012 and now I am able to run away and I am able to complete a marathon. I hope this will give a positive message to other people affected by brain injury.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The father-of-two was punched to the floor on Easter Sunday 2012 in the toilets of a Hull bar, suffering a serious brain injury when his head struck the floor. Now in the process of setting up a charity to run a rehabilitation centre, Paul says there’s nowhere for people with a brain injury after their discharge from hospital. He said: “I was in a really bad way, to be honest I didn’t even know really who I was, I just sat staring into space. It was frightening really, more so for my family.

“They told me there would be lasting damage, but they didn’t know to what extent. I am slower cognitively, have a poor memory, have a lack of understanding sometimes. I feel I was dealt a bad card but as much as I have had a difficult recovery and it has had devastating consequences, I am just trying to have fun while I can and help others.” The former foreman electrician tried to return to work with the firm where he’d worked since he was an apprentice, but despite their support was unable to continue part-time.

He has since been focussing on his charity work, raising an incredible £30,000 so far.