Blaze breaks out in home after tortoise's pen catches fire

A blaze broke out at a home in Tadcaster after a tortoise pen caught fire.

A tortoise.

Two fire crews were called to the property in Station Road at 8.10pm yesterday (Sunday).

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze involved a faulty heat lamp inside the tortoise pen in the lounge of the home.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

It caused damage to the carpet and smoke spread to the first and second floors.

Station Road, Tadcaster. Picture: Google.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze and the tortoise was unharmed.

Station Road, Tadcaster. Picture: Google.