Charley owes first breath to girl who became life-saving midwife

Have your say

LITTLE Lauren Burman cradled her new sister yesterday and told how she helped to deliver her sibling when she made an unexpectedly swift appearance.

Lauren, seven, dashed upstairs at the family home in Rotherham after hearing her mother Clair, 28, screaming as tiny Charley made her presence felt.

She helped her mother onto a bed and then ran across the road to ask neighbour Linda Platts, 47, for help.

They dialled 999 but Charley had already arrived and was having trouble breathing as the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck.

Mrs Platts said Lauren then untangled the distressed baby, cleared her mouth, and seconds later the newborn let out a gasp and began breathing normally.

Lauren said: “When Charley’s older I’ll tell her how I was there when she was born and was the first person to see her.

“I will remember that day for the rest of my life. She’s the best sister I could have asked for. At first it was a bit weird and disgusting but then it got scary.”

Miss Burman said : “After putting me on the bed she tried to keep me calm but seeing the head coming out, she realised it was very real.

“She keeps saying: ‘me and my sister are going to have a really close bond now that I helped save her life’.

“Lauren says she wants to be a midwife when she grows up. I’m very emotional when I think about what she did.”

Mrs Platts said: “Lauren came round and said: ‘quick my mummy’s having a baby’. When I got to the back door I could hear Clair screaming upstairs.

“After Charley arrived the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck. I was thinking ‘oh my god please just breathe’.

“But Clair was asking me what was wrong and I had to keep calm, despite knowing there was a problem.

“I’m so glad Lauren was there, because things could have been so much different. At the end of the day I felt sick with shock, but it was wonderful everything turned out fine.”

Charley, who weighed 5lb 13oz was taken to Rotherham General Hospital where she remained overnight with her mother, but is now back home.