Chief Constable faces criminal ‘leaking’ probe

Avon and Somerset Chief Constable Nick Gargan
Avon and Somerset Chief Constable Nick Gargan
Have your say

ONE of the country’s most senior police officers is to be interviewed under criminal caution over claims that he leaked internal emails containing personal data.

Avon and Somerset chief constable Nick Gargan will be questioned by watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) over allegations that he breached the Data Protection Act.

The claims were unearthed after allegations were made that he abused his position by making “inappropriate advances” to younger female members of staff.

IPCC deputy chair Rachel Cerfontyne said: “As part of our investigation, the IPCC has uncovered evidence that the chief constable may have breached the Data Protection Act by sending emails concerning police business, some of which contained personal data, to individuals unconnected to the force.

“On July 8 I formally brought this matter to the attention of the police and crime commissioner for Avon and Somerset who referred Mr Gargan’s conduct to the IPCC the following day. Mr Gargan has now been served with a notice informing him that this aspect of his conduct is subject to a criminal investigation.”

So far the IPCC has interviewed more than 50 members of staff from the force and sifted through computer and telephone data as part of its inquiry.

The watchdog said investigators are continuing to analyse the material they have gathered and are finalising arrangements to interview Mr Gargan over allegations of gross misconduct as well as the criminal claims.

Mr Gargan was suspended in May following the claims about his behaviour towards female colleagues.

Avon and Somerset Police and Crime Commissioner Sue Mountstevens said: “The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has made me aware of new evidence in their ongoing investigation into the conduct of the Chief Constable.

“I have referred the matter to the IPCC to investigate and the Chief Constable remains suspended.”