Christmas candles spark two house fires

Firefighter were called to two properties over night after fires in both were believed to have been started by unattended candles.

The first incident happened at just after 10pm at a bungalow in Fordlands Road, York. Fire crews from York found the chair arm of a setee, fireplace and mantlepiece on fire and a man was treated for minor burns.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The second, unrelated incident, happened at about 3.10am today at a house on Sherburn Street, Selby, when an unattended candle set fire to wallpaper in the living room. A man was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.