Claim SAS behind the ‘murder’ of Diana examined

0
Have your say

NEW information alleging that Princess Diana was murdered by a member of the British military is being examined by police.

Scotland Yard said that it is “scoping” the information, relating to the deaths of Diana and her partner Dodi Fayed in Paris in 1997, and “assessing its relevance and credibility”.

The claims were passed to the Metropolitan Police by the Royal Military Police (RMP), which was told of them by the former parents-in-law of a former soldier.

According to a military source, the allegations are based on information that the ex-soldier had talked about in the past.

A letter given to the RMP is said to allege that the SAS was “behind Princess Diana’s death”, according to the Sunday People, and to also refer to the princess’s “secret diary”.

The People said the letter claimed the soldier was a special forces member who was the former housemate of Sergeant Danny Nightingale, who was found guilty of illegally possessing a gun and ammunition.

A statement issued by Scotland Yard said: “The Metropolitan Police Service is scoping information that has recently been received in relation to the deaths and assessing its relevance and credibility.

“The assessment will be carried out by officers from the specialist crime and operations command.

“This is not a re-investigation and does not come under Operation Paget.”

Operation Paget was the Lord Stevens-led inquiry that investigated conspiracy theories surrounding the deaths of the Princess and Mr Fayed.

Initiated in 2004, the operation was wound up following the conclusion of the British inquest into the deaths in April 2008.

Police said they are not prepared to discuss the matter further, while a royal spokeswoman said there would be no comment on the matter from the Duke of Cambridge or Prince Harry, or from Clarence House.

Princess Diana, Mr Fayed and chauffeur Henri Paul died after their Mercedes crashed in the Pont de l’Alma tunnel after leaving left the Ritz Hotel on the morning of August 31, 1997.

The Princess’s bodyguard Trevor Rees-Jones was injured, but survived. Diana was 36 at the time of her death, while Mr Fayed was 42.

The hearing into their deaths lasted more than 90 days, with evidence being heard from about 250 witnesses.

When it concluded in 2008, a jury returned a verdict that the “People’s Princess” and her partner were unlawfully killed.

Coroner Lord Justice Scott Baker ruled out the possibility of concluding that couple were murdered, because of insufficient evidence.

The deaths sparked many conspiracy theories, with Mohamed al Fayed – Mr Fayed’s father – claiming the couple had been murdered by security services.

For more than a decade, he 
kept up a legal quest to prove 
their deaths had not been an accident.

He never accepted that his employee, Henri Paul, was under the influence of alcohol, despite blood samples showing he had been three times over the French drink-drive limit.

Instead, he claimed the crash had been orchestrated by MI6 at the behest of the Duke of Edinburgh to kill Diana so that she would not marry Mr Fayed, a Muslim.

Speaking in 2008, Mr al Fayed said he was “tired” of the fight.