A New York venue has axed Bill Cosby’s scheduled performance this weekend as the veteran entertainer was engulfed by more sex abuse claims.
The Tarrytown Music Hall, north of New York City, announced the cancellation in an email to ticketholders.
Some of Cosby’s shows in other states have been postponed after women have come forward claiming the 77-year-old comic sexually assaulted them. Cosby has denied the allegations.
Cosby had two sold-out engagements scheduled in Tarrytown tomorrow. Late last week, the promoter said people who did not want to attend could get refunds and nearly half of the audience had reportedly requested one.
Tarrytown said last night that Cosby had agreed to cancel in consultation with the shows’ promoter.
For weeks, women have publicly shared stories of alleged sexual abuse by Cosby with the expectation that any lawsuits they might file would be blocked due to long-expired statutes of limitations.
But on Tuesday a woman who claims Cosby molested her in a bedroom of the Playboy Mansion in about 1974 filed a sexual battery lawsuit, using an exemption that allows victims of childhood sexual abuse to sue decades after the incident.
Judy Huth, who said she was 15 when Cosby abused her, filed the case in Los Angeles because she only recently became aware of psychological damage caused by the alleged incident.
Experts say her lawsuit is the latest high-profile example of an alleged abuse victim getting their day in court.
In recent weeks, more than a dozen women have accused Cosby of drugging and sexually abusing them. Cosby’s lawyers have in the past issued statements characterising some of the claims as previously discredited and others as untrue. Cosby’s lawyer Martin Singer did not respond to repeated messages seeking comment yesterday.
Tweets sent from Cosby’s official Twitter account on Monday and Tuesday thanked a pair of celebrity supporters, Whoopi Goldberg and singer Jill Scott.
Cosby has steadfastly refused to answer questions about the sex abuse allegations.