Driver to face firearms trial over incident in which passenger was shot dead by police

THE driver of a car in which his passenger was shot dead on a slip road of the M62 during a police operation is to go on trial facing firearms charges.

Ribchester man will appear in court in January
Ribchester man will appear in court in January

Moshin Amin, 30, entered not guilty pleas today (March 7) over charges relating to the incident in which 28-year-old Mohammed Yasser Yaqub was shot dead by a police marksman.

The incident took place at Ainley Top, near junction 24 of the motorway, on January 2 this year.

Amin, previously of Broomer Street, Dewsbury, but now living at a bail address in Manchester, appeared before Leeds Crown Court for a plea and trial preparation hearing.

He pleaded not guilty to two counts of possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and one of possession of ammunition with intent to endanger life.

On count one, Amin is charged “together with Yasser Yaqub” that he had in his possession a handgun less than 30 centimetres in length with intent to endanger life or to enable another to endanger life.

Count two relates to the possession of a silencer with Yasser Yaqub. Count three relates to the possession of 11 nine-millimetre rounds with Yasser Yaqub.

A trial date was set for December 4 this year but the court was told it was subject to change and could begin slightly earlier or later than that date.

The trial is expected to last up to seven days.

David Brook, prosecuting, said the investigation was around three months behind schedule because of delays caused by a separate investigation into the incident by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

Amin was granted bail until June 27 when a pre-trial review will take place.

Amin’s barrister, Andrew Dallas, made a successful application for his client’s curfew to be varied from 14 to 12 hours each day.

The Recorder of Leeds, judge Peter Collier, QC, asked Mr Dallas what the issue was likely to be in the case.

Mr Dallas replied: “He didn’t know it (the gun) was in the car and therefore it was not in his possession.”

An inquest into Mr Yaqub’s death was opened and adjourned at Bradford Coroner’s Court in January.

The hearing was told that Mr Yaqub, described as an office clerk, was in an Audi which was brought to a “hard stop”, along with a Volkswagen Scirocco, by four unmarked police cars.

A post-mortem examination revealed he died from gunshot wounds to the chest.

Hundreds of mourners attended his funeral at the Masjid Bilal mosque in Huddersfield.