Fraudsters lift £300,000 from Hull Golf Club bank account

Hull Golf Club at Kirk Ella (Google Maps)
Hull Golf Club at Kirk Ella (Google Maps)
0
Have your say

One of the region’s premier golf clubs has been targeted by “very cleverly organised” scammers who stole £300,000 from its bank account.

Hull Golf Club, which celebrated its centenary in 2004, has recovered £100,000 and said today it would not affect its viability - but admitted it was “very unfortunate.”

Police were called in after the large sum, including golfers’ subscription fees, were taken from the club, which is based at Kirk Ella, near Hull.

Action Fraud the UK’s national fraud and cyber reporting centre, is investigating.

Club chairman John Jackson told The Yorkshire Post: “It is very unfortunate that it occurred, but life goes on and we hope we will get over it.

“The club is a perfectly viable business and it is not going to affect trading or staff, nor services to members.

“We have just got under £100,000 back and with the co-operation of the banks we hope to get more.

“It is still under investigation by the national body Action Fraud. As far as we are concerned it is an external scam.”

A statement added: “It appears that we have suffered at the hands of very cleverly organised scam fraudsters.

“The current situation is that with the help of the Banks the Club has so far recovered just under £100,000, approximately one third of the stolen money.

“The Club is continuing to seek the recovery of more.

“The Action Fraud investigation is continuing and we do not think it would be helpful to make further comment about the scam at this stage.

“The membership and staff are aware of this.

“The Club and the course are continuing to thrive and we intend that this unfortunate incident will not detract from our members and visitors enjoyment of the game of golf.”

The club was the first golf club in the Hull area and was founded in 1904 on Anlaby Road by nine local golfers.

After moving to Kirk Ella, the new 18 hole course was designed by the famous James Braid and opened on May 21 1925.