Mountain biker bedridden for six months after yob stamps on his leg in Sheffield street

Steve Gill recovering after the attack
Steve Gill recovering after the attack
Have your say

A 22-year-old mountain biker will be bedridden with a cage on his leg for the next six months after an unprovoked attack on a night out in Sheffield.

Steven Gill is taking more than 20 painkillers a day and will be unable to pursue his love of mountain biking for a year after having his leg stamped on and broken by a gang.

Steve Gill's broken leg in a frame

Steve Gill's broken leg in a frame

The Halfords worker says he would not wish his ‘incredibly painful’ experience on anyone.

Mr Gill was celebrating a friend’s 23rd birthday when the assault took place.

The group of about 20 friends were in Bloo 88 and Vodka Revolution in town before they made their way up Sheffield’s Division Street at about 1am.

Mr Gill was punched by a thug who had insulted two girls in their group.

Steve Gill's broken leg

Steve Gill's broken leg

He hit the attacker back before a group of men attacked him - one stamping on his leg. His friends rang for police and an ambulance.

Mr Gill said: “It was a bit of a shock to be honest. It was just so random. You don’t really expect it to happen, it was completely out of the blue.”

Now Mr Gill, who is on crutches, is likely to be bedridden for about six months and cannot leave the house unaided.

He said: “I fell down the stairs the other day and that put me back in hospital.

“I will have a cage on for four to six months and have physiotherapy for six months. I’m a big mountain biker, and this will put me out of action for a year.

“I’m on more than 20 painkillers per day including morphine for the pain. It’s pretty rough.

“I work at Halfords and I won’t be able to work for a long time, all because a group of lads took a disliking to me.

“I used to go out in town two or three times a week, and I have never had problems like this.

“It has put me off going out in future.”

Anyone who witnessed the assault is asked to call police on 101 or email quoting incident number 49 of 22 May 2016.

People with information can also ring Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.