Police chase ‘armed and dangerous’ Hull shooting suspect into school as children leave

Liam Windass
Liam Windass
Have your say

A MAN wanted for attempted murder is still on the run today after a dramatic chase into the grounds of a school in Hull as children were leaving for the day.

Humberside Police are seeking Liam Windass, 24, in connection with a drive-by shooting outside a McDonald’s in the city at the weekend.

If you see Liam Windass, please do not approach him. Contact the police as a matter of urgency.

Statement from Humberside Police

Police have confirmed this morning that it was Windass who gave police the slip yesterday after being spotted driving down Hessle Road in a silver Peugot.

They also said a man, 22, arrested in connection with the McDonald’s incident, had been released on police bail.

After a chase down Boothferry Road, the car tried to escape by ramming a police car three times, before crashing into barriers at the junction with Anlaby Park Road North.

Windass ran into the grounds of Sirius Academy, followed by armed police who scoured the grounds and later the school’s sports hall.

Asked about their failure to catch Windass, Supt Darren Downs said: “At the end of the day, it is one of those things - with any pursuit we don’t have a 100 per cent success rate.

“But we are getting closer and closer to him.

“He is clearly still in the Hull area and on the run and people are supporting him.”

Supt Down said he did not believe Windass presented a danger to the public if he was unchallenged.

But he added: “If someone tries to detain him that is when he is potentially more dangerous. It is quite clear from his behaviour that he doesn’t want to come into custody.

“If anyone sees him people should ring 999.”

Parents said children who were still at school or just leaving had been left in tears by the incident. Officers concluded their search at 7.30pm.

In a statement Sirius Academy executive principal Dr Cathy Taylor said the occupant of the car ran down the deliveries entrance and jumped over the fence into the allotments at the back of the site.

She added: “On advice from the police pupils were allowed to attend after school clubs and revision sessions. At approximately 5.30 pm the police returned to the sport hall where they conducted a search of the property. We were advised that this was a precautionary measure.

“The Academy followed police advice and safeguarding procedures throughout the incident.”