Deadly fumes threat to family

Four young children were treated for deadly carbon monoxide poisoning after their grandmother brought a barbecue indoors to dry her washing.

The woman, who has not been named, lit the device which she set up in the family kitchen before leaving the house in East Ham, east London on Wednesday.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Her three-year-old granddaughter collapsed later that afternoon and was treated in hospital with five of her relatives. They included two boys aged two and 10 months, a four-year-old girl and two women aged 26 and 29.