Wolds Diary: Delightful strolls but where is the summer sun?

One of my friends rather admired my arbutus tree, which is thriving in my front garden. It had a special meaning for her as when she had learned the recorder she had played the beautiful tune of '˜My love's an arbutus' by Charles Stanford. We sang it at our summer concert last week.

I popped down to the wonderful nursery I know to find the tree. I duly took it home and then stored it in my garden. I’ve been trying to get the garden in some semblance of order. Everything is growing at a quite alarming rate, especially the weeds. Fond as I am of convolvulus, or bind weed, and as much as I admire their stunning white flowers I really don’t want quite as much as is currently gracing my garden.

The lawn is growing fast too. I tried to mow it this week but it was just too damp to really look good. The weather has been very changeable, with heavy showers and it has at times been almost chilly.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

I took the dogs down for one of my favourite walks on the Hudson Way. I went via my friends’ house. I had earlier taken them an arbutus tree, as a birthday and anniversary present.

I came into the normal place I park for the walk behind about six horses and riders which was not a good match for my Staffie, so I drove on and parked in another place. I then had a delightful stroll, and the dogs had a great time running and sniffing at everything. There were squirrels, rabbits, hares and even a badger in evidence as we went along.

As I walked I noticed wild orchids in profusion beside the path and then a bit later I spotted a nuthatch on one of the trees, and many finches.

The bees, honey and bumble, were out in force and were visiting the copious blossoms of the hedgerow. I was pleased to see them. The path is good there and I finally got to St Helen’s Well where the stream emerges from the chalk hillside and flows off into a valley beside the path.

A nearby tree was festooned with brightly coloured ribbons, as were a number of other bushes close by. Unfortunately, some of these had dropped off and were draped all over the ground making a mess. We went for several miles and by the time we got back to the car the two older dogs had had enough and even the younger ones were tired.

On the Wednesday I went to a Deanery Synod meeting at St John the Baptist church at Stamford Bridge. This is a charming church and the meeting consisted of a short service before we addressed the agenda.

Afterwards I headed home, and was able to take the dogs out for an evening stroll, before heading to bed.

The next day was very busy. I had arranged for a skip to be delivered and it came just after 8am. Then my handyman came a bit later and began clipping the enormous and old hedge that surrounds my garden. It is at least 40-years-old and was getting out of hand.

We were careful not to disturb any of the numerous birds’ nests in the huge hedge, and I was able to put a huge amount of refuse into the ships, including all the bits and pieces that had come out of my kitchen when it had been redone. Bits of wood and stuff from the garden went as did the hedge trimmings.

We jumped up and down to flatten it. The skip man came to collect it and when he was covering it with mesh he pointed out to me the huge column of thick black smoke coming from a huge fire on the industrial estate here in Pocklington. He left and I closed the windows as the smoke was billowing in my direction. It still managed to permeate into the house and a smell of burning was detectable. I am just so glad no one was injured.

On Saturday I went and scored for the cricket team up at the York University cricket field, and had a very pleasant, if rather chilly, few hours. The wind came in gusts and there was the occasional shower.

When it finished I went and shopped at a super store before getting home, walking the dogs and collapsing exhausted into bed.