Estranged husband of gun victim owned firearms

Police investigating the fatal shooting of a woman say they have recovered a “small number of firearms” belonging to her estranged husband.

Christine Parry, 46, was gunned down in a quiet suburban street in Seabreeze Avenue, Newport, South Wales, on Thursday.

Her husband Christopher Parry, 49, also suffered gunshot wounds. He remains in hospital in a critical condition.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Detectives have since been gathering evidence as they piece together the events leading up to the shooting.

Officers were seen leaving the couple’s home with scores of potential exhibits in Cwmbran on Friday.

A force spokesman said: “Officers investigating the fatal shooting of 46-year-old Caroline Parry who died on Thursday have recovered a small number of firearms from an address in Croesyceiliog in Cwmbran.

“The firearms were legally held by 49-year-old Christopher Parry who is the husband of Caroline.

“He remains in a critical condition at the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport.

“Police are not seeking anyone else in connection with the incident.”

In the aftermath of the incident, which has stunned the local community and devastated the couple’s families, scores of tributes have been paid to Mrs Parry.

As well as messages of support online, flowers have been laid close to the scene.

One message attached to a fence read: “To my beautiful lifelong friend Caroline, I will miss you so much. Heaven has gained a beautiful angel. You were taken far too soon.”

And another attached to a bouquet flowers read: “To my darling sweet Caroline. I miss you so much. My darling visit me when you can, from your loving Garry.”

The alarm was raised at around 8.45am on Thursday after neighbours reported hearing gunshots.

Eyewitness Sam Williams, 33, was among those first on the scene.

He said he ran from his house towards the sounds and saw two people lying on the ground with spent cartridges on the ground.

“I could see an entry wound in her chest,” he said.

“I shouted to her but she didn’t respond. I would have given her first aid but I didn’t think there was much I could do.

“I just stayed with them until the police arrived.”

Police later revealed the two people involved in the shooting had previously been in a relationship.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) confirmed it will investigate what contact the estranged couple had with police before her death.