Facebook appeal in search for missing accountant

Have your say

POLICE have turned to the internet in the hope of tracing a man who vanished five days before Christmas as they made an impassioned plea yesterday for help to end his family’s heartache.

Extensive searches have been carried out by North Yorkshire Police since Chris Baker was last seen in the centre of York on Thursday last week.

Officers have now made an appeal using Mr Baker’s page on the social networking site, Facebook, and urged anyone who can help them with their inquiries to come forward.

A police spokeswoman said: “The investigation has been continuing over the Christmas holidays with our thoughts very much with Chris’s family at this very difficult time.

“One week on from the time he was last seen, we urge anyone who saw Chris on the morning of his disappearance to come forward if you have not already done so. Any information, no matter how insignificant you think it is, could help the investigation.”

The Yorkshire Post revealed on Monday that specially trained officers are providing support to the relatives of the missing 29-year-old accountant, who works at Hull Royal Infirmary.

Mr Baker, of Albemarle Road in York, was driving to work on Thursday when he abandoned his Renault Megane at the junction of Skeldergate Bridge and Tower Street at about 7.15am.

He gestured to a woman in the car behind before jumping over a wall into Tower Gardens on the banks of the River Ouse. He has not been seen since. Police are keeping an open mind but one possibility is he could have fallen into the river.

Mr Baker is originally from Burry Port in Carmarthenshire, Wales, and moved to York with his wife six months ago. He is white, 5ft 9ins and slim with curly dark brown hair. He was wearing a striped work shirt when he was last seen.

Meanwhile, another man who went missing on Christmas Eve has been urged to let his partner know that he is safe and well.

Colin Morton, 52, is thought to have gone for a walk on the beach at Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, after seeing his GP on Monday.

Police officers have studied CCTV and know he walked through Whitley Bay Metro station, using the footbridge heading towards the town centre and kept his appointment at the surgery.

He left the surgery in Whitley Road at about 9.15am before going to a bank in the town centre. He then called his partner Liz Callighan at 9.50am, but has not made contact since.

She said: “I just want to tell you that I love you and I need to know that you are safe. Please can you get in touch with someone to let me know you are safe and well?”

Mr Morton is about 5ft 10ins tall, with grey balding hair. He was wearing a grey hooded top, black bottoms and black top.