Footballer is spared jail over drunken assault on medics

A FOOTBALLER playing for Huddersfield Town has avoided a jail sentence for launching a drunken attack on two female paramedics.

Adam Hammill, 24, on loan at the Championship side from Wolverhampton Wanderers, lashed out and spat blood at the ambulance crew as they tried to help him following his collapse in a nightclub, a court heard.

Yesterday the footballer was handed a 12-week suspended prison sentence at Liverpool Magistrates Court after admitting two counts of assault at an earlier hearing.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The court heard that Hammill had collapsed inside Moniques nightclub in Liverpool during the early hours of October 7 and was carried outside by security staff.

Once there, paramedics Sky Armstrong and Tracy Northey tried to help the former Liverpool FC youth player.

But when they attempted to put him in a wheelchair, he became aggressive, lashing out with his hands and spitting blood.

Hammill also used foul language towards the women, who called police, the court heard.

Lionel Cope, prosecuting, said Ms Northey was left with a bleeding nose after Hammill “threw his arms out and struck her”.

The footballer, of Hall Road East, Bootle, Merseyside, who was out celebrating a friend’s birthday, had consumed up to 15 pints of lager and several shots of vodka or Amaretto, Mr Cope said.

In his police interviews Hammill was apologetic and said he had been assaulted inside the nightclub.

When he came to, he thought he was still being attacked.

Phil Moy, defending, told the court Hammill was “distraught” about his behaviour and had been fined two weeks’ wages by Huddersfield Town following an internal investigation.

Passing sentence, Deputy District Judge Brian Begley said: “You have shattered an image for many young people and that is something you will have to live with.”

Hammill was also ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work, pay £350 compensation to both his victims and pay £80 victim surcharge and £85 costs.

In a statement released by Huddersfield Town, Hammill said: “I’m thoroughly embarrassed by the whole affair and regret what happened.”