Former Mr Gay UK police officer suspended over head-butt attack

Mark Carter
Mark Carter
Have your say

A High-profile West Yorkshire Police officer’s career is in jeopardy after he was convicted of attacking a man in a bar.

Pc Mark Carter, a former winner of the Mr Gay UK title, has been suspended from duty pending an internal misconduct inquiry after being found guilty of assault following a trial at Manchester Magistrates’ Court.

The officer, who worked in the Kirklees division of the force, was accused of head-butting a man in the toilets of the Thompsons Arms in Manchester’s gay village.

He was sentenced to a 12-month community order and told to carry out 250 hours of unpaid work. He was also ordered to pay £100 compensation to his victim.

The conviction comes three years after Carter, who lives in Gomersal, was cleared by a jury of raping a man at a Leeds hotel following a high-profile court trial.

Speaking after the assault conviction, Det Chief Supt Clive Wain, of West Yorkshire Police’s professional standards department, said: “West Yorkshire Police expects the very highest standards of its officers and staff, both on and off duty. Criminal behaviour or conduct which falls below this standard will not be tolerated.

“We note the verdict of the court in relation to this officer. PC Carter remains suspended from duty ahead of an internal misconduct hearing.”

When approached by the Yorkshire Post yesterday, Carter said he was appealing the conviction and would not comment further until matters were concluded, but said he wanted to “move on”.

Nick Smart, chairman of West Yorkshire Police Federation, which represents rank and file officers, said it would be inappropriate comment until the conclusion of internal disciplinary proceedings.

Carter, who was named Mr Gay UK in 2006, was cleared of raping a man and carrying out two sexual assaults in 2011 following an alleged incident in December 2009.

Following the acquittals, Carter was also charged with possessing anabolic steroids but the case was discontinued after prosecutors accepted his explanation that the drug was for a medicinal purpose.

He returned to work in December 2011.