Gary Madine jailed for 18 months over two nightclub attacks

Gary Madine arrives at Leeds Crown Court
Gary Madine arrives at Leeds Crown Court
Share this article
Have your say

SHEFFIELD Wednesday footballer Gary Madine was today jailed for 18 months for punching two men in separate nightclub attacks.

Madine, 23, who has a previous conviction for knocking a man out in a Carlisle pub, punched Wednesday fan Daniel Beresford in the Paris Bar in Sheffield city centre in February last year, breaking his nose.

Four weeks later, he punched bricklayer and Sheffield United fan Reece Hall in the city’s Viper Room club, shattering his cheekbone.

He was jailed at Leeds Crown Court after being found guilty by a jury following a week-long trial last month.

The striker was on bail for the first offence when he attacked Mr Hall on March 11, 2012.

Prosecutors told the jury that Madine, who stood in the dock dressed in a black shirt and tie, turned into “an arrogant, violent thug” when drunk.

Mr Beresford told the court he did not know why he was punched.

The court heard how Madine stared at him in the Paris Bar and when the keen Owls fan asked him why, the player walked over and punched him on the nose.

Mr Beresford, who is 5ft 9in, was knocked to the floor, banged his head and was knocked out for between two and five minutes in the 1am attack, the court heard.

Madine claimed he was acting in self defence after a drink was thrown over him and was worried he was going to be hit with a glass or a bottle.

Mr Hall was attacked after Madine started a conversation with him in the Viper Room toilets, asking him “Wednesday or United?”.

Mr Hall picked out Madine for police in the bar. The footballer was arrested and admitted abusing officers who put him in a van saying “I’ll have you all” and then swearing at a custody sergeant.

But, weeks after the attack, Mr Hall went back to police and told them he thought he had picked out the wrong person - a claim he repeated to the jury.

Madine, who said he is 6ft 3in tall and weighs 14st, is originally from Gateshead and told the court he supports Newcastle United.

He not played for Wednesday this season due to this court case.