Gascoigne in US treatment centre after alcohol relapse

Ex-England footballer Paul Gascoigne has been admitted to a treatment centre in the United States.

The alcoholic former Tottenham Hotspur, Lazio and Newcastle United star, 45, has “willingly” been admitted to an un-named centre, his management company said last night.

It follows fears for the Italia 90 and Euro 96 legend when he appeared unwell and shaking during a charity appearance in Northampton last week, when he broke down sobbing on stage.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

In a statement, GamePlan Solutions said Gazza had been touched by the help and support shown by fans and figures within football over the past few days.

“Alcoholic Paul Gascoigne has been experiencing a tough time of late. He has been asking for help and has willingly been admitted to a treatment centre in America.

“He has complex issues that are currently being dealt with by professionals.

“Paul has been extremely touched and overwhelmed by the generous offers of help and support over the past few days.

“He is motivated to fully understand and control his addiction problem under guidance.”

After Gascoigne sobbed on stage watched by a room full of fans, his agent Terry Baker said he had been drinking and needed immediate help, suggesting Gascoigne’s life is “always in danger” and fearing that “maybe no-one can save him”.

The Queens Hotel in Leeds has announced that An Evening with Paul Gascoigne event, due to have been held on Friday, February 22, had been cancelled because of factors “outside of their control”.

Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) said Gascoigne, known as “Gazza”, still believes he can “get back on track” .

He said: “I think he does need specialist care and a very strong 24-hour support system, but again, it needs him to be part of that.”