Girl saved after starting fire accidentally

A YOUNG girl was rescued from a house fire by her father after apparently starting the blaze herself.

The eight-year-old suffered serious burns to her hands and legs after the fire at her home in Albert Avenue, Hull. She is believed to have started it accidentally by playing with smoking materials.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said the mid-terrace property did have a smoke detector but the battery had not been fitted.

The girl was taken to Hull Royal Infirmary where she was also being treated for smoke inhalation.

Her father, aged 37, was given oxygen at the scene by paramedics after inhaling smoke.

The girl's mother and five other children escaped unharmed.

The brigade deployed three fire engines which arrived within three minutes of being called.

Firefighters have since fitted two smoke alarms at the house and given advice to neighbours.

A brigade spokeswoman said: "The fire is believed to have started accidentally in a bedroom of the mid-terrace property due to the child playing with smoke materials."