Guilty plea in case of Sudanese student killed on night out in city

Sudanese student Anowar Tagabo who died after being assaulted on Carver Street in Sheffield city centre.
Sudanese student Anowar Tagabo who died after being assaulted on Carver Street in Sheffield city centre.
Share this article
Have your say

A man has admitted killing a Sudanese student who died after being attacked ‘in a moment of madness’ on a night out in Sheffield city centre.

Nathan Tomlinson, 24, appeared by videolink at Sheffield Crown Court this morning and pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Anowar Tagabo.

Mr Tagabo, who is originally from Sudan but came to the UK for a better life, was studying Peace and Development Studies at the University of Bradford when he died.

He was punched once by Tomlinson, of Haslam Crescent, Lowedges, Sheffield, in the early hours of May 25 having attended a wedding during the day.

He was attacked on the corner of Carver Street and Division Street and was rushed to hospital with head injuries but could not be saved and died on June 3.

Senior Investigating Officer Natalie Shaw, of South Yorkshire Police, said: “Mr Tagabo was a talented young man with his life ahead of him which was snatched from him in a moment of madness by Tomlinson.

“Sadly, this case highlights the dangers of losing your temper and punching somebody.

“A split-second decision made in anger can have tragic consequences, ruining the lives of the people involved, their friends and families.

“The defendant’s guilty plea has spared Mr Tagabo’s family the ordeal of a trial which is some small consolation.”

Mr Tagabo was originally from Sudan and has family in Chad, Central Africa. He had been living in France before moving the UK.

Prior to the attack, he was captured on CCTV running along Carver Street with a friend in an apparent attempt to avoid the rain, when he ended up involved in a confrontation with a group.

His cousins Monsour Kitar and Bakheet Modeen said in a statement that he was a “kind, friendly and peace-loving young man”.

They said: “He came to the UK for a better life for himself, away from all the war and unrest in his home of Sudan.

Tomlinson is due to be sentenced next month. Three other men were also arrested in connection with Mr Tagabo’s death. Two have been released without charge and a 24-year-old man remains on police bail.