High-flying comics come down to earth at Yorkshire airport

STAFF at a Yorkshire airport and hotel will be watching one of the highlights of the BBC's Christmas television schedules with more interest than usual this year, after they worked with the stars during filming.

Actors Matt Lucas and David Walliams, who shot to fame in the sketch show, Little Britain, spent several days at Doncaster's Robin Hood Airport earlier this year to make a new series called Come Fly With Me.

The six-part comedy begins on Christmas Day at 10pm, and is a spoof on fly-on-the-wall documentaries like Airline and Airport which showed the day-to-day workings behind the scenes in a terminal building.

All the major parts in the show, which has been heavily promoted by the BBC, are played by the two comedians, including a pair of unusual customs inspectors and camp airline crew.

The airport director Mike Morton said the two actors, their film crews and guest stars spent a fortnight shooting the series at the former RAF Finningley site filming check-in desk scenes and other sequences.

Mr Morton added: "We have a fantastic terminal building here and everyone is really excited to see it on the BBC over Christmas.

"The stars and crew were very friendly and their filming certainly caused a buzz around the place. It will be interesting to see how the comedy show unfolds.

"There are quite a few Lucas and Walliams fans amongst the staff and we are sure that they will all be tuning in on Christmas Day night when the show airs."

While the production was on location, both Mr Walliams and Mr Lucas stayed at the Crown Hotel in nearby Bawtry, and also booked rooms for 50 other production staff and film crew.

Hotel director Craig Dowie revealed that everybody involved in the production had been a pleasure to host, including the two stars.

Mr Dowie added: "Although they worked really odd times, they were interested in the local area and wanted to see what Bawtry had to offer.

"They were out really early in the morning and on some days were out for 18 hours or more, so we had to cater for them and the crew as and when they needed it.

"But they certainly spent quite a lot of time in the local restaurants. One night, all 50 of them had a private meal at Zinis, which is just down the road and David Walliams went to a local barbers a few times.

"He also spent quite a few mornings at a coffee shop next door and although quite a lot of people were going up to him and asking him what he was doing there, he was very open and chatty with them."