Home time, tweets Gary Madine as he is released from jail after just four months

Gary Madine. Picture: Ross Parry Agency
Gary Madine. Picture: Ross Parry Agency
Have your say

SHAMED Sheffield Wednesday footballer Gary Madine, who was jailed for attacking two men on nights out, has been released just four-and-a-half months into his 18-month sentence.

The 23-year-old striker was jailed in October last year for the two separate attacks on nights out.

Madine, who has a previous conviction for knocking a man unconscious in a Carlisle pub, was released from jail on Thursday - posting on social networking site Twitter: “Home Time!”

He thanked followers for their ‘nice messages’ and said: “I’m sorry for letting so many people down. Can’t wait to get back training, feel stronger than ever.”

Sheffield Wednesday bosses have revealed a meeting is to be held with Madine to discuss his future.

They had remained tight-lipped about their plans for the player when he was locked up.

But yesterday a spokesman said on Twitter: “Club nor player will make any further comment until discussions take place between all parties concerned in due course.”

Fans of Madine, of Middlewood, Sheffield, posted their messages of support on social networking site Twitter.

Former Owls star Carlton Palmer wrote: “Hi Gary, you have made a mistake, and paid a heavy price and your dues. Put it behind you and focus on your career.

“I wish you all the very best, and anything I can do to help, don’t hesitate.”

Madine’s uncle Paul Roley said his nephew was looking forward to playing football again, after revealing in previous tweets that Madine had been training during his time behind bars.

He wrote: “He’s absolutely great and raring to go. He can’t wait to get his boots on.”

Fans are speculating that Madine, who was born in Gateshead and made his first team debut for Carlisle United in 2007, will re-join Sheffield Wednesday.

He has made 85 appearances for the Owls and scored 26 goals.

Madine, who signed for the Owls in 2011, ‘lashed out’ when drunk on nights out with ‘little, if any, thought for the consequences,’ his trial last year was told.

He punched Daniel Beresford in the Paris Bar, Carver Street, in February last year, breaking his victim’s nose.

Four weeks later, he punched Reece Hall in the city’s Viper Room club on Carver Street, shattering Mr Hall’s cheekbone.

Judge Rodney Jameson QC, who jailed him, said: “When sober there is no reason to suppose you would misbehave.

“But I have to sentence you for serious offences which reflect the other side of your character – the side which comes out when you are in drink.”