Hope for family after date for inquest is set

0
Have your say

The family of Mark Duggan, whose shooting sparked last summer’s riots, said yesterday they have hope for the first time that the truth will come out about his death.

Mr Duggan, 29, was shot by armed police in Tottenham, north London, in August last year after they stopped the car in which he was travelling.

Yesterday coroner Andrew Walker decided the inquest into his death will go ahead on January 28 as planned.

Speaking after a short pre-inquest review hearing at North London Coroner’s Court, Mr Duggan’s brother Shaun Hall said: “It’s the first time that we have left here with a bit of hope that we can get the truth. We are told that in January we are going to get our day in court.

“The coroner was not prepared to lie down, he does want to see this in front of a jury as we do. All we are looking for is the truth.”

In court, the family’s barrister Michael Mansfield said they felt a “deep sense of injustice” over widely publicised accounts of Mr Duggan’s death which emerged as part of a separate criminal trial.