Horror as ex-police inspector kills his wife and child

Police at the scene in Melton Mowbray, after two adults and a child died following an incident at a house.
Police at the scene in Melton Mowbray, after two adults and a child died following an incident at a house.
Have your say

A SENIOR police officer killed his wife and six-year-old girl in a frenzied attack on his family days after being sacked.

Tobias Day, 37, left his two other children with serious injuries before killing himself, detectives believe.

The horror attack at his semi-detached home is believed to have been fuelled by his dismissal by Leicestershire Police last Thursday for misusing force computer systems.

Neighbours and colleagues spoke of their shock over the “respected” former inspector as police confirmed he was fired for “matters concerning honesty and integrity”.

Day killed his teacher wife Samantha and his youngest daughter Genevieve, and attacked Kimberley, 15, and Adam, 13, before taking his own life yesterday.

A post-mortem examination is expected to clarify later today whether the victims were stabbed.

The two surviving children are in serious but stable conditions at the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham.

Residents on the Days’ quiet residential street in Melton Mowbray were said to have heard screams coming from their home.

As officers said they were not looking for anyone else over the attacks, well-wishers laid flowers and balloons near the family home,.

Neighbour Gavin Lucas said Day was well-known in the area.

He said: “I saw Toby out jogging and with his children. He was a good bloke, always said hello. I wouldn’t have expected this from him.”

The 24-year-old added: “My auntie lives next door to me and she told me she heard screaming.”

Police were alerted to the attack at around 4.23pm yesterday over reports the eldest daughter, Kimberley, had been injured.

She was taken to hospital as officers forced their way into the family’s house to find the four remaining family members.

Ivan Stafford, chairman of Leicestershire Police Federation, spoke of his shock, saying Day had been “a very capable and respected inspector”.

“It’s absolutely tragic what has happened,” he said. “It’s been a real shock to the country and to Melton.

“It has had a huge impact on the force and it is important we have time to get to grips with what’s happened.

“We are more concerned for the two remaining children. Our thoughts are with the family.”

Neighbour Samantha Whitfield, who has lived on Robin Crescent with her husband for around 15 years, said she was horrified.

“Its usually a quiet street,” she said. “I’ve never seen anything like this.

“When we saw all the police and ambulances yesterday, we knew something had happened.”

She said her two children had been scared by the events.

“They were a normal family from what I saw. I didn’t see him too much.”

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is assessing the circumstances of his sacking before a decision is made over a formal external investigation.

The police watchdog is not understood to have been told of any complaints to police surrounding the family’s welfare after Day’s sacking.

Reverend Kevin Ashby, of Melton Parish Church, said the vicar of Oakham Parish Church had visited the children in hospital.

“All we can do is hope and pray that they won’t be left with too many lasting injuries,” he said speaking near the house.

“Melton is going to be very heavily hit by what they’ve experienced last night and this morning.

“It just doesn’t happen in a place like Melton, is how I think people feel, but it can happen anywhere and what we must do now is rally around and try and give the family as much support as possible.”

Melton MP Alan Duncan was on his way back from a ministerial trip to the US when news of the incident broke, and he was informed by local police as soon as he arrived.

Mr Duncan said: “This is clearly a most horrible incident where a father has taken the lives of his own family and then himself.

“We must leave the police to conduct their full investigation into all aspects of the incident.

“I have spoken to the leader of the council, who in their own way are fulfilling their duty of care to the children. A moment like this is a shock to Melton, which is a close and stable community.”

Police officers were seen going in and out of the Days’ house on Robin Crescent today.

They were also seen this morning entering nearby Swallowdale Primary School, where Mrs Day worked as a teacher.

Detective Chief Superintendent Andy Hough, who is leading the investigation, sent his condolences to relatives.

“I would ask anyone who spoke to Mr Day yesterday who hasn’t yet spoken with police to contact us,” he added.

“I would like to thank the community for their support last night. Detectives will be in the area again today talking to residents and we will aim to do this with the least disruption.”

A page on the Leicestershire Police website referred to Day’s former role as the commander of Beaumont Leys local policing unit (LPU).

Inspector Kev Morris, his replacement, recently wrote: “I intend to build on the good work that my predecessor Inspector Toby Day has achieved during his tenure at Beaumont Leys LPU.”

A Leicestershire Police statement added: “At this stage we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

“Inquiries are ongoing, scene preservation remains at the address and post-mortem examinations will be carried out later today.

“Family liaison officers are supporting the family at this difficult time and we ask that their privacy is respected.”

Paramedics responded to two emergency calls - an hour apart - over the attacks.

Emergency services were understood to have taken Kimberley to hospital after picking her up from nearby Dalby Road.

Michael Jones, of East Midlands Ambulance Service, said officers was first alerted at 4.20pm to “an assault”.

“A fast response vehicle was first on scene - Dalby Road, Melton Mowbray - arriving within five minutes of the call being picked up in our control,” he said.

“The patient was transported to the Queen’s Medical Centre by land ambulance.

“The second 999 call connected to this incident was received direct from Leicestershire Police at 17.24, and we dispatched to the scene - Robin Crescent, Melton Mowbray - two double-crewed ambulances, three fast response vehicles, an on-call doctor, and I attended as incident officer.

“The two land ambulances transported two patients to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham where they arrived at just before half past six.”