House fire ‘caused by sun reflecting off mirror’

0
Have your say

SUNLIGHT which reflected off a bedroom mirror has been blamed for a house fire which damaged a property in Doncaster last night.

Fire investigation officers said they believed the blaze was sparked when the concave mirror magnified the sunlight, igniting a set of nylon blinds.

A woman was in the house in Osborne Road, in the Town Moor area of Doncaster, at the time of the incident, but managed to escape unharmed.

A spokesman from South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: “The bedroom was well alight and firefighters used a hose reel to put out the flames and prevent them from spreading into other rooms in the property.

“The Fire Victim Support Unit attended to lend assistance to the occupant.”

The fire started at around 8.15pm last night and firefighters left the scene just after 11pm.